Subject: [Leica] Re: Small P&S quality
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri Jul 14 06:39:51 2006

On Jul 14, 2006, at 12:32 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> I am amazed at the capability of recent P&S digitals.  My Fuji F10 is
> two
> models behind the latest, but can handle ISO values from 80 to 1600,
> and
> equivalent lens lengths from 36 to 105mm.  I was experimenting with
> Manual
> Mode and ISO 1600 yesterday.  With flash turned off, and window light,
> captured the image below.  And, the camera is much smaller than my
> Barnack
> Leicas or the Rollei 35.
>
> Jim Nichols
> Tullahoma, TN USA
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/Musings/Furniture

I agree that some of the P&S cameras exceed expectations. My favorite,
at the moment, is the Canon S500, a little metal brick a good deal
smaller than the Rollei 35. Its 5 mp CCD meets my need for good quality
prints and it has a decent optical viewfinder which makes quick snaps
easy. Most important, it is the last of the ultra small breed that
takes Compact Flash cards. That means that I don't have to carry a
pocket full of mixed media when I carry it with my dSLR. The only thing
I regret is that the shutter lag is a bit long for my taste.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Re: Small P&S quality)