Subject: [Leica] That magic 777
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Fri Jul 14 03:21:44 2006

My box of 4 gallon packs of 777 came in, so I took a couple rolls of
outdated films (Ilford Pan and AgfaPan) and shot some stuff so that I can
"condition" the developer. The mixing wasn't too difficult, although the
"mix in small quantity of hot boiling water, 140 degrees F" definitely gave
me a double take (Sadly, when I told that to my 15 year old daughter, she
didn't quite get what the problem is. Her excuse is that her first year of
High School only touched on Biology...). The A and B bags are at least
labelled.

Since neither the directions or even digitaltruth.com has timing, I took a
stab at 24 deg C at 9 mins, constant agitation with the Jobo with a 5 min
pre-wash. Even though the first few batches in a fresh developer isn't
suppose to be great, I think it came out all right:

http://dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/PICS/071406/crop0016.jpg

Nice, sharp with a full tonal range. What more can one ask for?

Then I developed a roll of Neopan 400. 11:30 mins at 24 deg C (digitaltruth
time lists as 10-13 mins, so of course I took the average :-) ). This has
to be the, well, words escape me. It's a fabric print like no other:
http://dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/PICS/071406/crop0008.jpg

Again, nice, sharp with a full tonal range. What more can one ask for?

I think I will like this "magic" formula a lot.

use richard at imagecraft.com)