Subject: [Leica] Re: NYT photo editor
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Jul 11 08:22:32 2006

Larry Z. offered:

 > When I worked for the Boston Globe more than half a century ago, our
> photo editor didn't know or care what type of camera took a picture. We
> used company issued 4x5 Speed Graphics, Rolleis, Medalists and assorted
> privately owned Leicas and Contaxes. I drove around with a loaded Leica on
> the car seat next to me in case I spotted a bank robbery in progress or a
> treed cat being rescued. All the editor cared about was that the picture
> was clear and met the deadline.<<<<

Larry I think they all worked similarly then and today a half century later,
probably well into the future also.

> He did have a few peculiarities also shared by the NYT editor. He frowned
> on any picture taken with a wide angle or telephoto lens. The camera, he
> felt, was an eyeball surrogate.<<<

We never had to worry about that too often as the City Editor was also the
so called photo-editor. And his method of correcting angles he didn't like
was to use a pair of 16" scissors and cut out the part of the picture he
liked or the space he had to fill! Like some times a beautiful 3-4 column
photo would have the centre cut out and used as 2 column photo. Often
screwing it up that one hardly recognized what it was. :-(

It was truly a whole different world in the good old days of being a news
paper photographer.:-) But you truly loved what you were doing in those days
even if we had a few strange editing ducks to deal with.:-)

Today? It's all bottom-line crap that drives newspaper space for advertising
and in many cases photography is given short shrift as it takes up "revenue
producing ad space!" :-(

 ted
tedgrantphoto.com

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Re: NYT photo editor)