Subject: [Leica] Tale of Two Telyts Part Deax - The Evil Twin
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Thu Jul 6 08:42:04 2006

Folks -

As promised, here's an example of a disturbing symptom I encounter
occasionally with the 400 Telyt.

Here's a snap of a blue heron impersonating a stick:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album409/Camoflage_Heron_Crop

And here's a 100% pixel crop showing heavy purple fringing around the
feet and along the top edge of the log (in areas of serious
overexposure):

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album409/Camoflage_Heron_PurpleCrop

I've seen the same effect on Kodachrome, so I don't think it's one of
those artifacts of digital sensor architecture (despite all the talk
you hear about purple fringing in digicams.)  My questions are as
follows:

1. Is this just a classic case of chromatic aberration in a simple
achromat? (I hear tell that the Anomalous Dispersion glass (whatever
that is) in this design is supposed to control this kindof thing to a
pretty acceptable level.)

2. If so, is it really possible that the results in the normally
exposed areas can look as good as they do (not that this snap is the
best example; things were getting pretty dim at the time and the
shutter speed was probably quite low) with a level of CA this high?

3. Does someone who uses both this lens and the probably staggeringly
CA-free 280 APO (Doug??) ever see this effect in their 400 shots and
not in those shot with the APO ?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Bob Palmieri

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Tale of Two Telyts Part Deax - The Evil Twin)