Subject: [Leica] OT: Pacific Coast Highway
From: Bartphotog at aol.com (Bartphotog@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jun 28 18:37:14 2006

In a message dated 6/28/06 12:23:18 PM, richard-lists@imagecraft.com writes:

<< North of Napa/SF, you want to just pick up I-5, all the way up to
Seattle.
The northern costal drive is definitely not as pretty as the Big Sur area. >>

Maybe not as intense as Big Sur, but I'd say don't miss the trip through the
redwood country on Highway 101 - several gorgeous state parks and the
multi-unit Redwood National Park.

There is a short stretch of Old Highway 1 called the Avenue of the Giants
that's worth getting off the much faster Highway 101 for.

One spectacular place is Prarie Creek Redwoods State Park, and particularly
Gold Bluffs Beach.  Quoting from Foghorn Press's "California Beaches" (which
highly recommend): "One of the most beautiful beaches on the North Coast
(and
therefore, anywhere), Gold Bluffs Beach lies inside the boundaries of Prarie
Creek Redwoods State Park, which itself is surrounded by Redwood National
Park.
... The beach is a vast, desertlike expanse virtually devoid of humanity,
unchoked by seaweed or litter.  It extends farther than the eye can see in
either
direction."  The park also has a Fern Canyon - a narrow river canyon whose
steep walls rise high above a beautiful little stream, and are covered in
lush
green ferns that create a magical cool, green microworld when sunlight
filters
down through the ferns!  The park is also home to a herd of Roosevelt Elk,
which are quite amenable to being photographed, from a respectful distance
of
course.

I'm jealous - the only vacation our family ever enjoyed enough to do two
years in a row waa the drive up the California, Oregon, and (the first year)
Washington coasts, with forays into the Cascades in Ore and Wash.

If you do instead head up I-5 after leaving Napa/Sonoma, take the detour
into
Lassen Volcanic National Park.  The U-shaped park road, leaving I-5 at Red
Bluff and returning to it at Redding, provides breathtaking views and
fascinating, Yellowstone-like (though smaller) thermal features, and a view
from the top
of Lassen Peak (a moderately strenuous hike with a 2000 ft elevation gain
and
some loose red lava) that encompasses hundred of square miles of the
Cascades
and the Central Valley of Calif.  Also, on the volcano theme, consider side
trips to the spectacularly beautiful Mount Rainier, and the grim (at least
when
we were there some 10 years after the eruption) spectacle of destruction
that
is Mount Saint Helens.

Enjoy!  You'll wish you had a lot more time to explore!

Bart Smith