Subject: [Leica] Re: Armed America
From: pj at GoodPhotos.com (Michael Eric Berube)
Date: Sun Jun 25 12:21:07 2006

Douglas Sharp wrote:
> 3 captions out of 22 photos mention god or their creator as the source of
> their
> rights - a scary proportion to me.

I honestly don't understand all this fear that so many people feel when the
law abiding adults in a society are not treated like children to a
paternalist State.

The united States of America were founded as a Nation upon the very bedrock
of the proposition that Individuals have Rights that are theirs by Divine
providence and that anything that can be called a Right is specifically NOT
given to us by the State or any other Earthly source (King, Prince,
Potentate, Collective, Parliament or Knesset.)

Their notion of what constituted 'God' varied quite a bit as well, so
they used the word "Creator" in the Declaration as in "...That to secure
these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just
powers from the consent of the governed..." and they do not mention Deity
at all in the Constitution or it's Amendments which were supposed to
/Guarantee/ our Rights (not /provide/ them to us.)

The Declaration was a wonderfully uncompromising document that stated the
facts of the abuses that Parliament and King were laying on the colonists
pretty clearly and it made a great promise of hope for the future of
Self-Governance in the world. (An alien concept to history at the
time...and only even a dream since.)
The legally binding U.S. Constitution that followed a few years later
however, was a sad compromise of these principles that left out most of the
population in these United States at the time (women, slaves and Indians)
and the Amendments have been (sometimes) trying to correct those
compromises ever since.

The question of from whence we derive our Rights may seem a minor play of
semantics to most people, but the misunderstanding even in the States that
the Constitution (ie the Government) and not Deity/Nature, Nature's
Providence GIVES us our Rights is at the very root of much of what is wrong
with our nation and our nation's meddlesome actions abroad.

Consider if you will that if it is the Government which that GIVES us our
Rights then Government can easily take what it has given away without
recourse as a matter of law (without due process) and we get the insane
notion that Individual Rights only apply to 'citizens' of our nation and
only within our borders.  I submit that it is this far 'scarier' line of
thought that leads to such disgraces as the Guantanamo Bay
enslavement facility and most of the international conflicts that our
nation has had it's sticky little fingers in in the last 230 or so years.

--
Carpe lumen,
Michael Eric B?rub?