Subject: [Leica] Fwd: OT - appeal from 'Dump Kids'
From: gwpics at googlemail.com (Gerry Walden)
Date: Wed Jun 21 22:44:11 2006

Many of you will remember the help the LUG has give the 'dump kids'
and Nancy in the past (myself included). I have just received this
lteat email from her and I pass it on in case some amongst us can help
those less fortunate than ourselves:

"Can you help? We have decided to buy the house we are using for the
school. The owner, an older woman has offered it at a price about one
half the market value. Besides it being a good deal, I'm afraid if we
don't scoop it up, she will sell it out from under us and we will be
looking for a place to rent again. Most institutional funders won't
support the purchase of a building.

So, with that in mind I'm embarrassed to be writing everyone on our
mailing list (you have all been such loyal supporters) to see if we
can find 100 people that will donate $1,000 tax deductible (or more)
to purchase the school. I know many of you are on tight budgets, so
don't worry if you can't but maybe you know someone that can and that
would be great. We already have $65,000 in the pot from savings. You
can't get a mortgage down here, so everything has to be cash.

This is it, you won't be receiving any more letters like this, and you
know I've never really done this before.

Oh, for incentive, the first 60 donors also get a copy of the book,
Out of the Dump, now a collector's item! And we will put up a plaque
on the school wall with all the donors names.

Anyway, a description of the house/school follows:
It is a two story brick building on a corner lot with room for
expansion, either into the back yard or on the roof top terrace.
Downstairs it has a long hallway where we have photos hung, a spacious
kitchen and a multi media/library room (there is also a bathroom for
students and a room for a live in guardian)-
Upstairs there are four rooms, one for an office with an outside
terrace, another for the younger students with computers, a graphic
designers studio for the advanced students and a full darkroom with 8
enlargers.
The rooftop is a terrace that covers the house. It has an alarm
system, 2 panic buttons, high voltage fence and a 10 foot brick wall
that surrounds the property.

DONATION CHECKS CAN BE MADE OUT AND SENT TO:

San Carlos Fdn/Fotokids
1065 Creston Rd.
Berkeley, CA 94708

OR YOU CAN DO PAY BY CREDIT CARD THROUGH OUR SECURE WEBSITE:
www.fotokids.org <http://www.fotokids.org/>  by clicking on the PAYPAL
button ON THE HOME PAGE.

Please make it clear in either case that it is for the house - And I
thank you so much in anticipation.
Un abrazo fuerte, Nancy"

Thanks all!

Gerry