Subject: [Leica] Difference between de-silvering & de-cementing in M3 finder?
From: leicamshooter at yahoo.com (G Medina)
Date: Fri Jun 16 06:39:33 2006

What's the difference between de-silvering and de-cementing in an M3
viewfinder? It seems desilvering means that the balsam glue holding the
prism together deteriorates and they come undone, while desilvering involves
the oxidization of the silver coating to black, resulting in a black
rangefinder patch? Am I correct that DAG can glue it back together, and only
CRR in England, can resilver the prism?

  It seems my M3, just purchased 10 days ago is exhibiting signs of
decementation along the edges. In use the viewfinder is still clear, but the
evidence is there. Your experience/advise would be most helpful.

  Regards,
  Gonzalo

starting at 1?/min.