Subject: [Leica] Digital Leica M
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu Jun 15 05:55:49 2006

I do not understand this part of your comment.... the
viewfinder can only be used with 50ish mm lenses and longer......Can you
explain your thinking?

In a RF camera, since you never look through the lens, but rather at a set
of frame lines in the VF, it makes no difference what the
FL is.  Your magnification of the VF allows you to keep both eyes open
during shooting with the RF lines effectively superimposed on
the scene.   Even with a 180mm lens or a 24mm lens, the effect is the same.
( yes, the image gets pretty hard to frame correctly at
these extremes, but it still allows the superimposition to work, for you to
see the entire scene and pick out areas that are outside
your lenses view: A the trick that an SLR can never accomplish.

Comment about the WA lenses is understood, and I agree with you.  However
there is no fix to this problem for film cameras except a
smaller mag VF.  On the Digi-M, because of the smaller sensor, will be
effectively negated.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

You are right Frank for 2 eyes we need nearly 1x mag but then the
viewfinder can only be used with 50ish mm lenses and longer. The
worst part of my Epson RD1 is the 1x viewfinder, I can't see the
whole 28mm (equiv 42mm field of view) frame with my glasses on. Most
of the time I have to use an additional viewfinder. Mind you I expect
with the small rangefinder baseline the higher mag viewfinder is
necessary for focussing precision.

Frank

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Digital Leica M)