Subject: [Leica] 24x36mm sensor for the RFDM
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Thu Jun 15 05:52:15 2006

Bob

You ignore one problem. RF lenses and SLR lenses are absolutely not akin
when it comes to the angle of the incoming light rays, which is a crucial
factor for digital sensors, but not for film emulsions. Many RF lenses
protrude deeply into the camera body, and the light that goes from the back
side of these lenses to the corners of the 24x36mm film frame, can have an
angle significantly lower than 90 degrees. Film emulsions react quite
indifferently to this as the three-dimensional emulsion grains can be
exposed from the side, too. But a sensor needs the light coming in at a 90?
angle, and does overproportionally underexpose the lower this angle gets.

SLR lenses have another design because of the mirrorhouse. They're more away
from the film/sensor plane, and the angle of the incoming light is
straighter. This explains why a digital sensor in RF camera produces more
vignetting than the same would in a SLR. But nonetheless most SLR lens
producers have redesigned their lens lines for this reason, and for the crop
factor and have added new coatings at the back side of the lenses to prevent
light reflexions from the sensor.

Using traditional RF lenses digitally is a big technical challenge. We know
Leica is a very slow acting and reacting company, but this problem was
really a hard one to chew through. Let's hope their solution is condigned to
carry a red dot.

Didier

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] 24x36mm sensor for the RFDM)