Subject: [Leica] Re: 90mm's
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed Jun 7 18:16:43 2006

Walt,
You are all making this too hard.  I am going to Chicago tommorrow to pack
up my daughter for the summer here in Atlanta.  I don't know what I will
have time to shoot so I will take the 24 and the 50 current L lenses with a
couple of rolls of 400 and a couple of rolls of 50 for the blurry stuff if I
have time.

I plan on shooting in the barber shop next week and I especially want a
character study of Tommy the owner.  I will use the 85 F1.5 because it has
great oof so the rest of the shop will show in the background but not
distract from the primary subject.

Later in the week my mother in law will be in town for her quarterly cancer
screen.  She is almost 80 so I will use the 90 Elmar wide open.  My version
of the lens is sharp but doesn't cut the finer detail wide open so her eye
lashes wil look sharp but the her skin will look twenty or thirty years
younger; almost like using a softar I.

If you have been following my images you know that I can usually get a sharp
image down to 1/8  with a 90 mm subject movement willing.  Sometimes the
light doesn't let me hold that high a shutter speed with a 2.8 lens.  So
going into those situations I will lug the heavier lenses in the bag because
1/8 at F2 is possible but 1/4 at F2.8 doesn't work very often.

So, to summarize, most of the time I walk around with a bag full of the same
lenses that everyone else walks around with.  Occasionally, there will be a
specific situation that I know ahead of time will look better with a
different lens.  So I use that lens.

I can do this because for the past ten or fifteen years I have kept my ears
open for interesting lenses.  I bought the Russian lens from Dante for a
very reasonable price under $100.  I think that I paid $85 for the 85mm
Serenar.  The 90 Elmar was under $100 at a camera store in Kansas City
because the vulcanite was partially missing.  I found the current Elmarit as
NOS here in Atlanta for $500 because the store didn't know what they had.
The 75 Biogon was $79 because the owner didn't think Exacta mount lenses
were worth anything(they are if you have an Exacta to FD adapter).  These
lenses have interesting charachter that can be used to advantage for
specific situations.

Thanks for the conversation.  It is what makes the LUG interesting.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com

Replies: Reply from lkhermann at bresnan.net (lkhermann) ([Leica] Re: 90mm's)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Re: 90mm's)