Subject: [Leica] Chatter about digital M lenses
From: dnygr at cshore.com (dnygr)
Date: Wed Jun 7 12:43:20 2006

A lot of speculation in the absence of hard facts adds up to little.

What does Leica mean by "converted?"

A dealer told me that one can have one's lenses "converted" so that the
f-stop will be recorded and the user can access this information. Neither he
nor I thought much of this.

We'll have to see what they mean. And then we'll have to see if converted
actually means anything. Will it be the same as putting "new, improved" on a
package, that is, will it simply be empty rhetoric.

I'm sure they will come out with a line of "digital lenses," but whether
that will be anything better than what they've produced to date, will have
to be studied.

And if it is better, will it be better enough to warrant buying. One can buy
the new lenes for film. They are better than the old ones, but the old ones
are still pretty darn good.

So we'll have to see. Until we have it in our hands, we are just "shooting
the breeze." There's a crasser way of saying this, but I'll refrain from
that.

Doug