Subject: [Leica] RE: Re: 90mm's (Jeffery Smith)
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Jun 7 02:07:17 2006

Jeffrey, obviously many of us use the 90's for the classical application of
portraits. Your image is a nice example of a good use of the 90 for tighter
framing. Nice exposure too, I think. I especially like the head in relief
against the darker reflections, and of course the balancing reflection of
the bird itself.
http://www.400tx.com/ibis.html

I have one of the Contax G 90/2.8s as well and I like it very much. They're
sharp and compact and really undervalued second hand, I think. Shame about
the squinty finder in the G2 with the longer lens.

As I understand it, the new ZI lens is a redesign since the lens to film
distance is different between M & G cameras.  However, I think the primary
driver for the price is the manuf in Germany, rather than the CV factory in
Japan. No surprise there, I guess.

I completely agree that the more compact lenses are very attractive and also
that Zeiss has made a mis-step with the size, design choice and price of
their M 85 (and I am a minor Zeissaholic too!).

I have just got the Elmar M 2.8 90 as well and am thrilled so far with its
results.
Here's a pic from my first test shots
http://gallery.leica-users.org/analog-images/statue

Hoppy