Subject: [Leica] Leica modifying M-mount for digital M?
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat Jun 3 11:35:17 2006

The Leica M lenses are "coded" for Focal Length....but that is for the VF
Masks..... You can not tell the 50 from the 75  ( I think
that is right,,,, also the 35 from the 135, etc.  ).....  so the mechanical
"coding now available is insufficient.....

On the subject of cost of the $125 for the "mod"..... You will pay $5K for
the camera body.  For 4 lenses, that is 10% more.  If you
want a Leica M mount Leica Digital camera, you will pay it.  If the extra
10% gets in your way, then you will not, and that means to
Leica that you are not part of their target markets......  As history tells
us, they could care less.

Another stab at the $125....  Leica sells a 50mm F1.4 lens for $2800.
People pay it.  Why would they think that a customer would
not pay $125 for a mod to use that old, 1932, lens on the new, $5000 camera?

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

There are things I don't know about the very wide lenses which use
external viewers for the frame lines - do they have cams also that
identify their focal length? Or are the lenses that have matching
frame lines the only ones?