Subject: [Leica] Re: Doug Herr's Tech Tips for Telyts
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Tue May 30 08:45:38 2006

Folks -

The ever-generous Doug Herr wrote the following in response to my
posting of them birdsnaps to one of the other lists:

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
> Date: May 29, 2006 8:15:04 AM CDT
> To: leicareflex@freelists.org
> Subject: [LRflex] Re: Weekend Birding w/Telyt
>

> On May 28, 2006, at 11:54 PM, bob palmieri wrote:
>
>> Folks -
>>
>> Went out yesterday to hunt some elusive warblers with my wife, here's
>> couple of 400 Telyt shots that I'm liking at the moment; one literal
>> and one poetic:
>>
>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/album409/bay_breasted_warbler_1_1_3880
>>
>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/album409/wilson_s_warbler_II
>>

> Well done, both photos.
>
>> The damn Bay Breasted Warbler was hanging out right about 14 feet or
>> so
>> away from me for a coupla minutes... I'd put the tube on and it would
>> move just beyond, I'd take the tube off and it would come in a little
>> bit, etc...
>
> I've added a 30mm extension tube to my arsenal for just this sort of
> situation.  It's based on the 14198 1:1 extension tube for the 60mm
> macro lens but I removed the tube's 'guts' to eliminate the vignetting
> seen when the unmodified tube is used with a long lens.
>

>> The Wilson's I was sorta shooting through a lotta vegetation; when I
>> saw this image form in the 20d's finder I just had to snap.
>
> Good thing you did, very pretty photo.
>
> Doug Herr
> Birdman of Sacramento
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com

In addition, today he pointed out the following helpful fact:

... and now that I've thought about it, with a crop-factor camera such
as the 20D or DMR the extension tube doesn't even have to be gutted.

Gee... sound like I'll be using my 60 macro ring more often, for sure.

Bob Palmieri