Subject: [Leica] Arnold Center 55th Anniversary
From: jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Mon May 29 10:50:19 2006

As World War II ended in Europe, General Hap Arnold and aeronautical genius
Dr. Theodore von Karman pondered ways to assure that other nations never got
ahead of the United States in aeronautical and engine research to the extent
that Germany had done in the 30s and 40s.  In June 1951, President Harry
Truman dedicated the Air Engineering Development Center near Tullahoma, TN
as a research and test center to pursue cutting edge developments for the
U.S.  I was fortunate to go to work at the center two years later, and spent
most of my career there, first, as an engineer completing and calibrating
wind tunnel facilities, and, later in management.  Now known as the Arnold
Engineering Development Center, it celebrated its 55th anniversary this past
weekend with a display of vintage and modern aircraft and an air show at the
Tullahoma Regional Airport, itself built in the 1940s as a training base for
B-24 crews.

I chose my Leica IIIf RD with a Jupiter 12 35mm f/2.8 lens as my primary
camera for the static displays.  It was my first real effort with the J-12,
and I was impressed with the results.  Having tried similar tasks with a
50mm in the past, I found that, when I backed up to capture a complete
aircraft image, too many visitors got between me and the subject.  The 35mm
proved perfect for the assignment.

Selected photos are listed below, with some slight adjustments, cropping,
and resizing in PS.

Comments and criticisms are welcomed.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA