Subject: [Leica] OT: Film (er) Cache
From: smcj35 at yahoo.com (Colin J)
Date: Fri May 26 02:58:54 2006

GREG LORENZO wrote:

> My question for the other film hermits out there is: when to
> freeze vs refrigerate? Do you freeze almost everything right
> away or wait until you film gets closer to the expiry date
> before freezing, or some combination. If you freeze too much,
> can you subsequently move film to the fridge with impunity?

Greg,

I am very much a film hermit!  I use digital every day at work
(portrait studio) and am happy to use film at all other times.

I freeze all my film.  Before use I thaw it in the fridge for 24
hours minimum.  I remove it from the fridge the night before
shooting.  If I forget, and remove it in the morning, I don't
use it until the afternoon.  All freezing, thawing and warming
up is with the film still sealed in the plastic drum.

I was taught this many years ago and have (almost) always
followed the advice.  The only time I have a problem is when I
am impatient and do not allow enough time to thaw or warm up.
The result is some condensation on film.

Colin

Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New
Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html