Subject: [Leica] Re: Color blindness
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed May 24 07:24:11 2006

On May 24, 2006, at 9:38 AM, Allen wrote:

> Chloroquine (used for treating malaria) and its cousin, Plaquenil
> (hydroxychloroquine)-used for treating rheumatologic disorders like
> lupus- can also cause color blindness.

Very interesting. We lived in India for several years during the '80s
when chloroquine was the preferred anti-malerial drug. We were on a
regular regime of chloroquine and Fansidar, another anti-malerial.
After our return, I noticed a slight red/green color blindness that I
had never experienced before. When I took the physical for a Merchant
Marine Master's license (another story) I was classified as having
red/green anomalous vision, not quite color blindness since I could
easily distinguish red from green. However my color matches were not
quite the same as non-color blind persons and certainly not the same as
my wife's color matches. I always defer to her on matters of picking
ties.

Larry Z