Subject: [Leica] Bokeh and quantification
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Fri May 19 06:59:57 2006

It would seem the search for good bokeh should be confined to earlier
lenses designed before computers took over?Another element of this bokeh
discussion seems to be lost on many of us. I've never seen a strong
image weakened by bad bokeh. I've never looked at an image which made an
effective statement in the manner only photography can and said what
great bokeh. This term, seemingly given more appeal to some by its Asian
flavor, misses the point. Pick up a copy of /Black Sun /which includes
work by several well-known Japanese photographers. Eikoh Hosoe, Daido
Moriyama, and Shomei Tomatsu may have a lot of bokeh but no one mentions
it. The bottom line seems to be

we can talk about images or we can shoot them..............both pursuits
are interesting but only one proves its point.

Happy Bokehing

Walt