Subject: [Leica] Digital Leica ideas
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed May 17 19:29:55 2006

The topic of the full frame digital Leica keeps coming up. Here is a
post I submitted to the LUG three years ago on various implementations
of the full frame camera. Has Leica made any progress?

"I'm not an optoelectrical engineer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn
last night.

Actually I didn't stay at the Holiday Inn but I had a couple of drinks
at a bar nearby with some friends who are real optical engineers from
IBM's Yorktown Heights Research Lab. After a couple of beers I posed
the digital Leica M question. Specifically, could conventional lenses
with a short back focus work with a full sized CCD sensor. The answer
was the same as suggested by the nay sayers on the LUG - probably not.
But - and there is always a "but" in discussions with engineers - if
enough time and money were made available, a digital Leica M could be
made to work. Here are a couple of the brainstorming suggestions that I
remember:

Correction plate - a strong planoconcave correction plate in contact
with the full sized sensor might be the least expensive but it would
require considerable design work and would not work optimally with all
lenses. The grazing angle of a 50 mm lens (back focus about 30 mm) is
about 33 degrees at the corners of the image frame. The Kodak
KAI-110000 sensor requires an angle no greater than 15 degrees. Thus
the plate would have to deflect light to the vertical by 18 to 20
degrees at the corners decreasing to zero degrees at the center. For
lenses shorter than 50 mm, the corner deflection angle would have to be
greater, longer lenses would require less deflection. A fixed
correction plate would work best for only one focal length. One
suggestion was to supply alternate plates for specific lens ranges,
another was to use a single plate and correct for light fall off by
software, the frame actuator triggering the right software mode. An
alternative suggestion to the planoconcave correction plate was a
fresnel lens with groove artifacts removed by software. These guys work
for IBM, remember. The suggestion proposed in the Leica press release
was to use individual micro lenses over each of the image wells in the
sensor, most probably molded into a single pastic overlay. This is a
modification of the fresnel lens method.

Image compressors - If we are not wedded to the concept of a full sized
CCD and are willing to use a smaller sensor, albeit one with a high
megapixel count, the easiest approach would be to just use the center
1/2 to 2/3 of the image. This is a no brainer optoelectrically. It is,
of course, the approach taken by Epson. When I suggested that many
Leica users were wide angle fanatics and would object to a change in
apparent focal length of their lenses, several suggestions for image
compression that would give the full field of view were offered. The
first of these was a fiber optic corrector plate. Imagine a fiber optic
bundle the size of a 35 mm frame. Now heat and draw one end of the
bundle out until it is the size of a smaller CCD sensor and optically
fix it to the sensor. Any image formed on the large end will be
reproduced in smaller size at the smaller end where it is picked up by
the reduced size sensor. The large end of the bundle could be ground to
minimize grazing angle and fall off effects. The result might be more
even illumination than with film. The fiber bundle could be bent around
from the Leica M inspection port area to the baseplate electronics bay.
Artifacts and misplaced fibers would be rectified by software. Marty
Forscher used the fiber optic bundle technique in the very first
electronic cameras 30 years ago.

Relay lens - The aerial image of any Leica lens could be picked up at
the film plane and directed by a relay lens to a sensor of any size.
The optical twists and turns this requires are best left to your
imagination. This approach is thoroughly practical and is used in many
scientific instruments. It ain't cheap, however, and the relay optics
have to be of the same quality as the prime optics.

Afocal lens attachments - A teleconverter type attachment inserted
between the prime lens and the camera body could be used to increase
the back focus to the point where a full sized sensor would be
practical. Of course this would increase the apparent focal length, so
an afocal wide angle attachment on the front of the lens could be used
to decrease focal length to keep the status quo. Whether this would
still be a Leica lens is another story.

Our booze abetted conclusion is that a digital Leica COULD be made
given enough engineering talent and money. Whether Leica has enough of
either is open to question. But there is no doubt that a digital camera
that uses Leica lenses is within the realm of possibility."

Larry Z