Subject: [Leica] Flooding in Winchester, MA
From: Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway)
Date: Tue May 16 05:20:20 2006

Don:

Thanks for the short story.  If you're familiar with the Boston area,
all rivers north of the Charles are affected.

The worst are in the Massachusetts/New Hampshire border areas about
20-30 miles north of me.  A few dams are being watched carefully with
one in Methuan being the one most worried about.  The Merrimac river is
the highest that it's been since sometime in the '30s.  Haverhill's
sewer treatment plant has failed and is "reported" to be dumping five
million gallons into the river daily.

Our governor, who wants to be the next President, promised last October
on the occasion of the Taunton dam failing, that he would have all dams
in Massachusetts quickly inspected.  Only 49% have been. Some of those
which haven't, were last inspected in 1949!

The media are having a high time of it.  One reporter was, (speaking
with a straight face) that the Millpond here in Winchester had
overflowed it's banks and had turned the road on which she was standing
into a "raging river". BUT, the water behind her was very still.  Then
she said that the water was "chest deep", while in the background about
200-300 feet behind her, a town worker in yellow foul weather gear was
walking about in water only halfway to his knees.

This is one time when I greatly appreciate auto exposure and auto focusing.

Jim, "In foul weather gear, and somewhat foul himself" Hemenway

Replies: Reply from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] Flooding in Winchester, MA)
Message from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Flooding in Winchester, MA)