Subject: [Leica] my first assignment
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Mon May 15 02:37:03 2006

>> Yeeha!
>> A bit to my surprise, today I've been asked to do a reportage/
>> documentary in Senegal at the end of may. I'll be there for 5 days.
>> Except for all my expenses, I'll be doing this for free. So no
>> commission: it's a unique opportunity for me, it's for a non-
>> profit  organisation that's starting up a project, and I don't
>> really need  the money that much, thanks to my professional life
>> in advertising.  Afterwards, there will be an auction of a
>> selection of my work to  fund the project. The reproduction rights
>> will stay with me.
>> I plan to take 3 of my cameras: a Sony DSC-R1 with 2 Gb of CF, a
>> Ricoh GR D with 21mm attachment, external VF and 1 Gb of SD, and
>> a  Leica M4-2 with CV 35/2.5 Color Skopar, 50/2 Summicron and a
>> 90/4  Rokkor.
>> On the M4-2, I'll shoot only in B&W. Light measurement with the VC
>> II  Lightmeter, and a Sekonic Dualmaster L-558.
>> I also prepare to take a 40 gig image tank, my 17" PowerBook, a
>> small  reflection screen and spare battery sets. Lots of the
>> latter. And  ofcourse all the necessary cords, cardreaders etc.
>> Some material to dedust cameras and lenses, too.
>> Now, since this is my first assignment, and the first trip into
>> Central West Africa (I've ony been in South-Africa untill now), I
>> want to prepare as good as I can. A few questions arise:
>> 1) For the B&W, should I stick to 100 ASA (I use Fuji Neopan 100
>> Acros and from time to time TMax 100), or go lower? Which
>> automatically brings me into Foma films or equivalent.
>> 2) For the digital (esp. the Sony), should I take an ND filter
>> with  me (the Sony's lowest ISO is 160)?
>> Any very important things that I forget here?
>> Useful tips and tricks? (I'll take a good hat, multi pocket
>> trousers,  good walking shoes, black or white (long sleeved) T-
>> shirts, and maybe  knee pads with me)
>> And also the things I usually take with me when I travel abroad
>> (a  scarf, a pocket knife, 6 ft. of cord, a candle, waxed
>> matches,  aspirin, a tiny survival blanket, a compass and a steady
>> watch)
>> Vaccinations etc. are been taking care of.
>> All of this will fit in a smallish LowePro kind of backpack that
>> will  never leave my side.
>> I speak French and English, so I do not suspect that will pose
>> any  problems.
>> It is not an expedition, so a real survival kit won't be necessary.
>> Counting on the vast knowledge residing on this forum now, f.i.
>> (and  amongst others) from Ted, Tina and Daniel,
>> and really looking forward to your do's and don'ts.
>> Thanks already,
>> Philippe

Great news, I cannot give you much in the way of advise, but I would
put in: don't take too many camera types. I'd say 2 leicas instead of
the Ricoh. More versatile and more back up for the lenes you carry.
One camera I just love in this sort of area is a Rolleiflex TLR. It
is REALLY quite, no one realizes you are taking an image and the
results are superb.

Having said that, its very hard to beat a digital camera as I found
in the Antarctic

Cheers

Alastair

Message from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] my first assignment)