Subject: [Leica] Leaves of Three, Let 'em Be!
From: jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Sat May 13 19:14:57 2006

LUGGERS,

I find that many of my friends without a connection to the South have
trouble recognizing poison ivy.  Following the removal of some pine trees on
my lot boundaries by the power company, I found, mixed in with Virginia
Creeper and English and Swedish ivy ground cover, a healthy specimen of
poison ivy, recognized by three waxy leaves in a triangular arrangement.
One of the leaves was damaged, and I did not try to rearrange it for a
better photo.

Creeper has five leaves and is a harmless pest.  Domesticated ivies have
distinctive leaves.  However, when it comes  to the poison ivy, heed the old
saying:  "Leaves of three, let 'em be!"

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Musings/Poison_Ivy