Subject: [Leica] B&W Conversion options
From: nathan at (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu May 11 20:51:03 2006

I think that in the case of these particular pictures, it is a tough
choice since the colorful flags are clearly an important element of the
scene, so I am not sure I would get rid of the color here. I shot some
pictures of partying FC Sevilla fans in Eindhoven on Wednesday afternoon
(before the UEFA Cup final against Middelsborough from England, which
was played at Philips Stadium on Wednesday night). The scene was very
colorful, with the colors, pained faces, flags etc., and I will
definitely keep those in color.

But in general, I do convert a fair number of images to B&W, and my
preferred tool is the conversion tool sold by Fred Miranda. It works in
16-bit mode, and while at the end of the day it is indeed just an artful
application of existing Photoshop functionality, that application is so
far beyond my Photoshop skills (if I had to do it manually) that it is
well worth the $30 or whatever I paid for it.

bob palmieri wrote:
> Folks -
> Shot some shots of the immigration rally here in Chicago last week;
> here's a coupla samples:
> Liked the color thing, but decided to try to convert to B&W.

Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands

General photography:
Seville photography: