Subject: [Leica] my first assignment
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Tue May 9 14:20:29 2006

>I found that clean drinking water in plastic
>bottles was very widely available on the Silk Road
>in Western China, certainly anyplace where there
>are buses and markets (e.g., Urumqi, Turfan,
>Kashgar, all the oasis cities of the Tarim basin
>and around the rim of the Taklamakan).

I found the same too when I was hopping around China two years ago.
My two concerns were hotel rooms where I'm not always sure that the
water has been boiled properly  and I'm too lazy to go outside to buy
something -- and restaurants where I don't have  a choice of
beverages or something comes with ice. I'm getting the AquaStar UV -
which makes it easy to doubly nuke all my water -- it comes with its
own nalgene. I figure it's fairly inexpensive insurance. Saving
myself from even miserable night of diarrhea is  worth the $90 for
the kit.

Thanks for the other recommendations, I'll be sure to follow them up!

Karen

--
Karen Nakamura
http://www.photoethnography.com/blog/