Subject: The state of PJ Today - was: BD's Re: [Leica] So for... -
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun May 7 16:07:51 2006

At 05:28 PM 5/7/2006, you wrote:
>Actually, I'd like to suggest that the advent of the web has caused a
>blossoming of PJ work, and has given photographers at virtually every size
>newspaper opportunities they really never had before to do interesting work.
>
>B. D.

And they are being paid a living wage to post on the internet?  Who
is paying them?  Do they retain the rights to their photos? There are
thousands of blogs - some of them have wonderful photos from great
photographers who are posting them at their own costs with the hope
that someone will see them.  How long can they continue to do that
without pay?  There are also web sites for most newspapers, which
many times post the articles but no photos.  If there are photos, are
they copyrighted by the photographer?  It's an exception if they
are.  It has become accepted practice that photojournalists are not
paid extra for web use.  Ask any newspaper photographer.  There are
more photos out there than ever before, but nobody is getting paid
for them.  The microstock agencies are proliferating like fleas and
selling all rights to all photos for pennies.  It's not a good time
to be photographer unless you have another source of income like teaching.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) (The state of PJ Today - was: BD's Re: [Leica] So for... -)