Subject: [Leica] OT: Acdsee substitute for the Mac - what I ended up with
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Apr 28 23:02:55 2006

Having received all this great advice from various esteemed members of
the list when I posted my question about 10 days ago, I thought I'd let
people know what I ended up deciding.

After trying iPhoto (since I already have it) and a couple of the other
options, I settled on Photo Mechanic (www.camerabits.com). I had seen a
demo of it at the 2004 Photokina but never really played with it. Now I
did, and I just sent my order yesterday. The main reason I liked it is
the speed--even though my Powerbook has a slower chip and less memory
than my Windows desktop machine, Photo Mechanic is much faster at
breezing through a folder of RAW images than ACDSee on the Windows
machine. This was the deciding factor for me, since I do not use the
other features much (database etc.). Speed is most important.

The pictures from the Copenhagen commemoration of the Warsaw ghetto
uprising I posted yesterday were edited on the Powerbook using Photo
Mechanic, and then processed using Photoshop Elements 4 -- all on a
train from Frankfurt to Amsterdam Wednesday night.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands