Subject: [Leica] Warsaw ghetto commemoration in Copenhagen last Sunday
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Apr 28 06:54:57 2006

Every year in late April, there is a brief ceremony held at the Jewish
cemetery in Copenhagen. The occasion is the anniversary of the uprising
in the Warsaw ghetto in 1943 but is also a more general Holocaust
commemoration. It is organised by the Polish Jews Association in
Denmark, of which my late father was an active member; in fact, he often
gave the main speech, including back in 2001, just two days after my
mother died. This year, the ceremony was last Sunday, and I attended
before driving back home. Many of the attendees are elderly, and most
are Holocaust survivors themselves. Each year the congregation gets a
little smaller; for me, the most glaring absence is obviously that of my
father, but as I looked around there were many other faces missing...But
as can be seen on the last few images, the memory is passed on to the
young generations as well. A selection of 12 images is here:
http://wajsman.smugmug.com/gallery/1407543

BTW, the inscription on the monument visible in several of the pictures
means "Never Again" in Polish, Danish and Hebrew.

Comments welcome as usual, and more normal PAW service will be resumed
shortly.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman