Subject: [Leica] William Gottlieb (and Gordon Parks)
From: profmason at yahoo.com (John Mason)
Date: Wed Apr 26 08:47:00 2006

Friends, I'm delurking to to note the passing of one
of my favorite photographers, William Gottlieb, who
died
this week, after a long and brilliant career:

<http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/newswire/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002385599>

Or:

<http://tinyurl.com/f8con>

The Library of Congress has a site devoted to his
early work...

<http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/wghtml/wghome.html>

...which includes some absolutely iconic images, such
as this one of Ella Fitzgerald and Dizzy Gillespie:

<http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/wghtml/wgpres02.html>

Tough spring.  First Gordon Parks, now Gottlieb.

BTW, the Digital Journalist has a terrific tribute to
Parks this month, with commentaries, reminiscences and
a gallery:

http://www.digitaljournalist.org/

--John

J Mason
Charlottesville, Virginia

DEMOCRACY OF SPEED, a Photo Documentary Project:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s/john-m/john-m.html