Subject: [Leica] Searching for vernal pools
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue Apr 25 20:58:19 2006

Today was a sort of overcast afternoon but I had heard that the vernal
pools south of Dixon in Solano County were quite beautiful - the
strange cool, wet spring having caught all phases flora.

The light wasn't right for photography but I had a watcher who sat on
the fence between me and the vernal pools near the large Navy and
Voice of America transmitting antenna.

<http://www.idea-processing.com/Images/_L3U0245.jpg>

<http://www.idea-processing.com/Images/_L3U0248.jpg>

He gave up that perch and flew across the road where this old bit of
drainage tile gave him another good view.

<http://www.idea-processing.com/Images/_L3U0276.jpg>

Further down the road the egrets were very wary, but I thought their
bright yellow feet and black legs were worth a look as one fled toward
the sanctuary of a private pond further south:

<http://www.idea-processing.com/Images/_L3U0281.jpg>

Canon 1Ds MKII with Leica telyt 560 shot wide open at ISO 400. The owl
images are heavily cropped. The egret less so. In a future life I
might be able to recover a bit of detail in his upper left wing.

Doug Herr would, no doubt, have petted the owl and had the egret
sitting on his outstretched arm so he could shoot it with a 35mm but
I'm not in that league.

Comments, as always, most welcome.

Adam

Replies: Reply from bruce at ralgo.nl (bruce) ([Leica] Searching for vernal pools)