Subject: [Leica] New additions to Hospital 24Hs gallery
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Apr 23 06:55:24 2006

Eduardo Albesi showed:

> I have added some images to the Hospital 24Hs gallery.
> From Inpatients (http://gallery.leica-users.org/album126/h24h23x4)<<<

Hi Ed,
Some very good photographic moments, maybe 2 I might not use.

frame 15/
As much as I like the highlighting of the bed sheets I find it to dark.
Which of course may be corrected with a lighter print?

frame 16/
Mopping up the floor I very much like the indoor outdoor reflections. Nit
picking comment..... "holding the camera straight horizontally and
vertically because you didn't here." It appears you tilted the camera down
from the right top corner. :-(

And because there are so many strong vertical lines it makes the tilting
down more obvious. When I'm shooting in this type of setting I quickly check
left and right sides of the internal viewfinder and square the camera off
straight with edges of windows or door frames or whatever building frame
lines I can. That doesn't mean I keep them in the picture but it allows
something to line the camera with, thus avoiding the distortion. This action
is done much faster than I'm typing it, however it makes for a cleaner and
smarter looking photo.

frame 17/
Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The reassuring and comforting hand of a medical
person's hand on the shoulder of patient or family member nearly always
works as you've shown here. It's such a simple gesture but can be so
powerful in a medical series.

frame 18/
Right or wrong here's what I see. The medic in the background appears to be
"smiling or smirking" even though with mask. He seems very aware you're
taking his picture. I try to avoid this if possible and wait for the subject
to be doing something particularly when they show they know the picture is
being shot.

The medic in foreground, obviously there's always a lot of standing around
time as the OR is prepped or staff waiting for the surgeon. But this chap
doesn't seem to have the right kind of expression or whatever it is, again
maybe he's  conscious of the camera?

19/
Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-) Beautifully executed using the wide open aperture
dropping the background way out of focus. Technically perfect! When you do
your final print cut, that one stays in the series.... don't lose it! :-)
Well done!

20/
If this is a "see & shoot" it without any direction from you, it works
nicely with first class available light. With good lighting and
concentration of expression of doctors it's very strong. Of course sometimes
it starts out as we see this situation, then we have a moment where it can
become a slightly directed shot. In that case I usually have the subjects
look at the upper edge of the papers rather than the more head down to
middle of page as we see here. "Only after I've shot the original as I see
it do I make the verbal suggestion for an eye-line direction change."

Depending on the situation do I speak because that breaks into their thought
process and we're not here  but rather the silent observer/recorder. Not
creating what we think it should look like! Besides, doing that can get you
thrown out!  :-)

When you have them look at the top edge it brings the head and "eye-line"
upwards creating a better head - eye direction. (sometimes) However this
shot works as is, but it's always good to keep a little direction in the
back of mind just in case for a touch of improvement if necessary.

Nice additions to the series. Please keep them coming.

ted

Replies: Reply from eduardoalbesi at ciudad.com.ar (Eduardo Albesi) ([Leica] New additions to Hospital 24Hs gallery)