Subject: [Leica] What do real patriots do?
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Sat Apr 22 07:04:09 2006

Tina,

Thirty years ago while traveling in France, I was on a ferry near Brest.
I started to photograph some interesting old and rusting ships in the
harbor. Suddenly an older gentleman grabbed my shoulder and began to
scold me in French. He didn't want me to photograph the ships. A couple
of the ships might have been decommissioned military.

I photographed a lot of things over the years and never had another
issue until just after 9/11. I was walking down Waterfront Park in
Downtown Portland with a camera in hand. Two policemen stopped me and
asked what I was photographing. I told them I always carry a camera when
I walk downtown. I guess it was the wrong thing to say. They took down
my name and made me feel....well, very uncomfortable for a time.

I wonder if would be acceptable to take a photo like this today.
http://www.purplehen.com/images/docking.htm
Leica M6, 21/2.8 ASPH
Portland Rose Festival May 2000

BTW here's a K64 image that I took that day I got scolded in France (it
was also my first Kodachrome scan several years ago, on a Nikon LS-30).

http://www.purplehen.com/images/brittany.htm

daveR