Subject: [Leica] What do real patriots do?
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Thu Apr 20 18:31:05 2006

I was sitting outside the local hospital today waiting for my wife to
get off work. She doesn't punch a clock so the time spent waiting can
vary from 15 sec. to an hour. I pass the waiting by reading or
observing the environment or fiddling around with my 50-year-old M3. I
don't waste any film for several reasons but one is the place is private
property and I'm not inclined to violate their privacy.
A woman pulls up next to my parking space, gets out of her car and
walked into the bldg. I barely noticed her until she returned about 30
minutes later with what I presumed was her husband. Still sitting and
waiting, they were non-existent  until the guy sticks his head in my
window and says "what are you takin pictures for?"  He was abrupt and I
promptly replied in an equally abrupt manner "I wasn't takin pictures,
why would I want to take pictures here?"  He informed me "you might be a
pervert" and I promptly replied "so might you"  "I don't have a camera
and I'm not takin pictures" he said  It went on a bit longer and he
informed me the police were on the way. I promised to be sitting there
with my knees squeezed together to prevent unwanted urination from fear.
(of course there were no police)

I thought of many cool things to say afterward. Why would any
self-respecting pervert want to photograph a woman as homely as his
wife?.Hell, if I could be as witty beforehand as after the fact in these
situations I'd make it to Saturday Night Live. ;-)

If there is a moral to this convoluted tale it might be "real perverts
take pictures". 37 years in photojournalism has taught me many lessons
but to my credit I'm still learning. It's been constant and unending,
inevitable and relentless and it will only end when I toss my Leica or
go to ground.

Walt

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] What do real patriots do?)