Subject: [Leica] Re: Marialuisa Morando - $1900 (Arche, Harvey)
From: Harvey.Arche at jp2hs.org (Arche, Harvey)
Date: Thu Apr 20 09:42:25 2006

Alan Wrote
>I suspect she fancies herself as the Rothko of photography.  For my
part, I
>don't care much for Rothko and I don't care much for the photographs
either.
>"Much" of course is indefinable, but it certainly does not rise to the

>level of $1900 or anything like that.

Actually I care a LOT for Rothko, which is perhaps why this half-baked
'homage' irks. Granted, as George pointed out, its hard to judge  large
prints by a 2x2x72dpi reproductions. They may have qualities of surface
and luminousity that don't translate. But they can't touch the Rothko
paintings in the areas that made them great, namely their color,
texture, emotive depth, and scale-presence.

I have on occasion tried to capture photographically what little I can
understand about the Ab-Ex painters works, and its hard. I doubt I've
pulled it off more than once or twice. And verbal mumbo-jumbo doesn't
make it happen.

Arche