Subject: [Leica] race night
From: Harvey.Arche at jp2hs.org (Arche, Harvey)
Date: Wed Apr 19 16:36:33 2006

Many Thanks to everyone who has viewed, and responded, to the last couple of
posts. Its nice to have informed eyes seeing stuff that otherwise lives in a
vacuum.
Don, the guts of your advice is that the easiest way to take pictures of
strangers is to make them not be strangers. Comping prints fits the plan of
springing the $40 pit-ticket cost a couple of times until I can both get the
close shots, and deliver them. Then, hopefully, I can get put on the
gatelist as a tradeout. These people are NICE.
Didier, I think about using a 50 instead of a 35, but I don't trust my
focusing skills to sacrifice the DOF shooting wide open. We'll see; the 50
worked well at the r'n'r shoot. Also, the broader social context is
important to me.
Philippe, I developed those pictures in PS ;^).  Actually if you wonder
about film processing, I'm the wrong person to come to. Do what I do and ask
The Man. Daniel put me on to Xtol 1:3. BTW, Daniel, whenever I'm not stuck
for time and tank space, I'm sold on the half-empty tank agitation technique
you passed along.
Rob, it was a big Busch cup event the same weekend at the Super Speedway
that got me thinking about going to the races. But the the tickets were $32
for the cheap seats, and I somehow knew it would be too big a spectacle (and
way too commercial to my taste) for a newbie to deal with. I bet there is a
small track close by for the weekend warriors. The beauty of this is that
for these people, the race is as much about being a pretext for the
surrounding social scene. I imagine rodeo is the same way.
And Sebring, ah! Sebring. If there is interest on the list it might be an
incentive to do something I've put off since I bought a scanner, and that is
dig out my Dad's kodachromes from the 50's. It would be on topic since he
used a IIIf & elmar 50 rig. In those days the track was only on the other
side of the hay bales. I wouldn't be able to tell, but I bet there are shots
of Fangio & Moss.  My first kodachromes were taken there in the early 70's
(still on topic), and I may have shots of the Steve McQueen race.
Cheers
Arche

Replies: Reply from pritchettr at charter.net (Rob Pritchett) ([Leica] race night)