Subject: [Leica] Re: RUSSIAN KGB leica?" (Walt Johnson
From: Thinkofcole at aol.com (Thinkofcole@aol.com)
Date: Wed Apr 12 07:48:58 2006

Ted:

I have mentioned elsewhere that about 15 years ago, in New Jersey, I paid
$8
for a Russian Leica copy, a Fed,  that had Cyrillic script that  said NKVD
and a lot of other words, including Kombinat... It had a 50mm/f3.5  Elmar
copy,also a Fed, with the diaphragm slide exactly like the Elmar rather
than the
type of diaphragm circular slide used today on the Jupiter  copies...It also
had
a four-digit serial number at about 9000...Essex Camera in  New Jersey put
in
new curtains and gave it a CLA for $112, so it cost me  $120...I used it for
about five years then tried to sell it at the Second Sunday  Camera Show in
Wayne, N.J.

I researched it and thought it might be a big deal, so I offered it to a
Russian dealer at the show but he was not even interested...I eventually
sold it
for about $175, with the lens and case...Others have said that the Russian
dealer didn't know what he was being offered while still others said that
all
of  those early Leica copies were marked NKVD but that did not mean very
much...

I believe that Russian lenses can be erratic but can also be fine; I have
two Elmar copies and both are great...I have had a few Russian cameras and
never
 found one I would keep.

Yours is not a phoney but in my experience -- and I could be wrong -- NKVD
markings do not make it valuable...regards, bob

Ted Grant wrote:
 Hopefully someone out there in LUGLAND has some idea whether this is
> for real or a phoney Russian KGB Leica knock off camera?

Sunday at the Vancouver camera swap meet Peter Kline pointed out the