Subject: [Leica] Re: Touch typing keyboards
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Tue Apr 11 20:14:20 2006

I can type 120 to 140 words per minute in a proper chair with a good
keyboard.
When I worked at  Digital Equipment Corporation in the 1990s I had their
keyboard people hand-make me a custom keyboard to my specifications. I like
to believe I know something about keyboards.

IBM keyboards are very good, but the very best keyboards ever made were made
by Facit, in Sweden, for their electric typewriters. In the early days of
interactive computing, Facit would sell you a typewriter that had been
reconfigured to work like a teletype. There were binary codes drilled in the
keys, and as each swung towards the paper, a photocell noted the sequence of
holes and transmitted the appropriate character. I used to be able to do 150
words per minute on a Facit.

These days I use the standard Apple keyboard, which isn't bad.

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Re: Touch typing keyboards)
Reply from shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka) ([Leica] Re: Touch typing keyboards)
Reply from rmcclure2 at woh.rr.com (Rob McClure) ([Leica] Re: Touch typing keyboards)
Message from msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Re: Touch typing keyboards)