Subject: [Leica] Re: Touch typing keyboards
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (lrzeitlin@optonline.net)
Date: Mon Apr 10 16:10:05 2006

Gary writes (Lympa blog)

<<I've always wondered at how technology makes such huge leaps over amazing
distances and forgets the
toothbrush. Computer keyboards are another example of a high level of
ergonomics at the brochure level.
Thirty years ago, IBM keypunch machines had a feature that is now lost - the
"F" and "J homekeys were
dished in deeper than the other keys. When PC keyboards came out, my fingers
were lost, and I did not
know why. Looking carefully at the old keyboards, I discovered that without
conscious effort, my fingers
naturally fell into the home keys. Why would such a useful feature
completely disappear from all modern
keyboards?>>

Gary,

Apple computer keyboards have little pips on the home keys. Obviously some
people at Apple still touch type.
Stangely enough, the newer keyboards for the PPC and MacIntels have the pips
on the F and J keys, while
the older keyboards have the pips on the D and K keys.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from dcm at pobox.com (David C Mason) ([Leica] Re: Touch typing keyboards)
Reply from datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff) ([Leica] Re: Touch typing keyboards)
Reply from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Re: Touch typing keyboards)