Subject: [Leica] Why we photograph, artists who photograph, and HCB
From: Harvey.Arche at jp2hs.org (Arche, Harvey)
Date: Mon Apr 10 11:43:11 2006

B.D., and Paul

Interesting comment in the light of last week's thread regarding the
benefits a photographer may or may not enjoy from taking a drawing
class. While I don't believe you can teach anyone to be an artist
(that's something each person has to do for themselves), you can
certainly teach things to help technique. I really believe drawing
classes help young photographers, and would go further in saying that
kids who avoid drawing classes ("its too hard" "I can't draw") end up
taking much longer to develop into strong photographers than if they had
bitten the bullet early on. Anything that helps you to see the three
dimensional world as if it were 2D helps, and that's what beginning
drawing is all about.

Arche

B.D.wrote:

>Not the red wine, Jeffery, but rather the fact that HCB was not a
photographer, but rather an >artist whose brush was a camera. I think
his return to drawing in last 20 years of his life was >no real change -
he was drawing his entire life.