Subject: [Leica] still plugging along .... ahem.
From: KCassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Fri Apr 7 06:14:20 2006

>From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan@nathanfoto.com>
>
>This is one of the most frightening images in the series, Kyle. I
>guess the combination of the dog's gaze and the poster on the wall >makes
it so (obviously in conjunction with the main subject).

>But photographically excellent, as usual from you :-)

> http://www.availabledark.com/~ratty/armedamerica/bashir/bash1000.jpg

i think it is one of the most compelling -- or at least one of the most
compelling -- (i did order an 11x17 to hang in my house). i was also aware
at the time that in photographing him from below i was making him more
menacing -- which i didn't want to do -- (i could hear the criticism: "in
this series, you see that cassidy photographs white people straight on or
from slightly above to make them appear small and docile but african
americans are photographed from a low vantage point to make them appear
sinnister ... ") which would be a legitimate crit -- however, i felt pretty
much forced into this exact composition by the position of walls, targets,
and the fact that i wanted to dog in the photo. in real life, bashir was
anything but frightening. he was very pleasant and friendly to be around.
and the dog kept licking me.

you want scary, try photographing drunk hocky fans after their team won a
game....

Replies: Reply from clzeni at mindspring.com (Craig Zeni) ([Leica] still plugging along .... ahem.)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] still plugging along .... ahem.)