Subject: [Leica] WWII veteran (OT Gear)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Apr 6 12:42:17 2006

PHC offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] WWII veteran (OT Gear)

> Ted - I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a picture. Seems we
> have different criteria.
>
> For me the subject matter has always come a very distant second to the
> aesthetic. In the second picture, sure, we see the face - and I don't mean
> to diminish the importance of that - and there is nice light. But the face
> simply isn't interesting enough to hold my eye. Maybe if the subject had
> some eye contact with the viewer, or we could see more of his eyes... who
> knows. The fact is that it doesn't hold me.
>
> However, in the first shot we have a simply outstanding composition. The
> poise of the subject: focused, studying, waiting. The trees on the horizon
> perfectly placed to offer us an objective for the subject's focus, they
> also become the subject themselves of the picture-within-a-picture that is
> the observation window.
>
> And then there's that wonderful circle of light from his cuff, down his
> arm to his collar and hat. And the line of his cheek. And the confident
> grasp of his hand. It's a very good picture.
>
> I hope this brief note answers your question. Do you think it's a bad
> picture?

G'day Paul,
Great explanation, thank you. I most prefer this kind of commentary when
people make a comment because in this case your explanation becomes a very
strong learning element for others and myself.

Thank you very much,
regards,
ted

Replies: Reply from lists at paulhardycarter.com (PHC) ([Leica] WWII veteran (OT Gear))