Subject: [Leica] digital ramblings
From: lug at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth)
Date: Sun Apr 2 03:00:23 2006

Eric

Using the adaptors you loose auto focus and have to use stop down metering
as you mentioned. That is as complicated as it gets :-)

I'm assuming that you have a Canon DSLR. I bought my adaptor from
Cameraquest in the States. Expensive but well engineered - you could buy one
of the cheap ones available on eBay if you just want an initial play with
the system.

The cams issue is an irrelevance, nothings coupled so you can use a lens
with any number of cams. However you use a 5D there are a number of lenses
that don't work because of a problem with mirror clearance. Doug Herr
published a link to a site listing all the lenses and there compatibility
with the various Canon bodies. I've lost the link, but it tends to be the
shorter lenses that are affected. If you have a 300/350D or 20/30D there are
far fewer issues.

Regarding focussing itself, I've found personally that the longer the lens,
the easier it is to focus. The viewfinders can be small and not very bright.
Because of this I bought a Brightscreen - wwwbrightscreen.com - for my 5D.
The 5D has user replaceable screens and this was a two minute job to insert.
The Brightscreen has a traditional split rangefinder and a microprism
collar. In retrospect I think I would have been better with the version that
just had a microprism collar, but that's just my personal opinion. I have
also read that the R8/9 screens fit, but can't confirm that.

Feel free to ask anymore questions.

Steve