Subject: [Leica] playing with my new toy
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Apr 1 21:29:16 2006

Don Dory offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] playing with my new toy

Doug,
I predict the days of you using film are numbered in the finger and toe
quantities.  You lose the viewfinder of the SL but gain much better quality
at 400, almost instant feedback, a "quiet" motor drive, a 200 exposure roll
of film when things are really good, much lower film processing costs, and
did I mention some really wonderful fabulous looking images.<<<<

Hi Don,
Most of the photographers who shoot for Masterfile, the largest stock photo
agency in Canada have found incredible savings in film and processing costs
since they completely switched to digital. Actually savings beyond their
wildest estimates.

One of the guys a couple years ago, said in his first 12 months shooting
digital compared to film he saved $15,000.00 !!!! That's just film cost
savings. Several  others voiced similar stories of incredible savings to
their income by switching to digital.

I think today the cost savings are understood because of Digital's rapid
advance into the pro field of photography that has probably influenced many
other shooters to go digital. Certainly without question savings created
into the 5 figure mark will be seen as a very good reason to any
photographer.

Even here, given we've slowed things down some, we've shot most things
digital so there hasn't been any new film costs. And when we have it's been
using up several hundred rolls of Tri-x along with a hundred or so rolls of
colour out of the freezer.

I don't think anyone has a reasonable argument against digital when it comes
down to digital vs. film in overall cost. Like there isn't any way using
film can be more economical than shooting digital, even with the cost of a
DMR, eventually it will pay for itself. And if you are an extremely active
pro it'll pay for itself in no time.

And like you, I believe Doug is now on the slippery slope to full digital in
short order once he feels completely comfortable with the DMR + R8 and big
glass.

ted

Message from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] playing with my new toy)