Subject: [Leica] James Nachtwey's "Inferno"
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Thu Mar 30 09:50:01 2006

On 30 Mar 2006 at 10:29, B. D. Colen wrote:

> Right. I must admit that my prejudice has always gone in the other
> direction
> - make it small; make it precious; draw the viewer in.

Myself as well.  11x14 is big enough for me, and that only for a few
things.  For people shots, if you can't hold it, you can't really SEE
it or connect with it.  I've always wanted to do a show where nothing
was larger than 11x14 and most of the secondary images were 5x7
prints just lying on a table where people could pick them up and look
at them, the way they share snapshots with friends.... but that's the
journalist in me wanting viewers to connect, not with me, but with my
subjects.  I don't think it'd work so well for giant landscape
projects.  Wm Henry Jackson, for example, should never be presented
in sizes smaller than 2-3 feet, and mural prints would be better.

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com

Message from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] James Nachtwey's "Inferno")