Subject: [Leica] enough with Olympus DSLR postings PLEASE
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Fri Mar 24 05:12:47 2006

B. D. Colen wrote:

> Oh please, Peter. Get a grip.

I really resent being talked to like that. I think you missed the point of
what
I was saying.

To re-iterate, there will always be good photographers; irrespective of the
technology. You are an example and there are plenty of others on the LUG.
The
art of photography won't die. It's about image capture. It is, per se,
technology-independent.

> As to current cameras having a six month shelf-life, ...

Again, please read what I wrote, not what you would like to imagine I wrote.

 From the point of view of a manufacturer the status of an imaging chip as
"cutting edge" is at present running at between six months and a year,
depending
on the market sub-sector (P&S, DSLR, Prosumer DSLR, Pro DSLR etc.). In a
"leapfrogging"/"me too" market they feeled compelled to release new products
on
a similar timescale. That "shelf-life" is technology driven and beyond a
certain
point, which we passed two to three years ago, has little to do with the
user's
real need for the capability that the new technology can deliver.

Whether or not there is **actually** a new technology in the offing, the
rise in
performance of DSP chips, CPUs, memory and levels of integration which give
rise
to the phenomenon above are opening new alternatives that make it reasonable
suppose that the lifespan of the digital camera in its present shape and
form
will be shorter than that of previous technologies. I was merely musing on
that
observation.

Peter Dzwig

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] enough with Olympus DSLR postings PLEASE)