Subject: [Leica] my 2 cents on the Capa ?
From: Harvey.Arche at jp2hs.org (Arche, Harvey)
Date: Thu Mar 23 10:11:44 2006

It seems impossible to ever know for sure, once the question was raised,
whether or not the "falling soldier" photo was staged. Like Pandora's
box, by posing the question a doubt is created that can't be stuffed
away. I'm not qualified to research the matter myself, and am unwilling
to trust the agendas of those who are.

I honestly believe, however, that in the years following that
photograph, Capa went on to develop into one of the very finest photo
journalist/war correspondents that ever lived. I think he was a
dedicated and courageous man of profound convictions, who was driven by
a righteous outrage at the horror of war to expose it with an
unflinching eye for the truth.

In understanding his motivation for this passion, I would like to think
that perhaps this one photograph is of central importance. There is no
question that it established his reputation and kicked off his career.
If it was faked, might not a man of his conscience be moved to spend the
rest of his life honestly earning the credibility it gave him? And if it
wasn't faked, might not a man of equal conscience be moved to spend the
rest of his life earning the credibility that came at the expense of
another's life? Either possibility squares with me.

Arche

Replies: Reply from paul at paulhardycarter.com (PHC) ([Leica] my 2 cents on the Capa ?)