Subject: [Leica] Lets start a Leica equipment discussion
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Tue Mar 21 14:02:24 2006

Barney

>>I have a question for the group which I will disguise as a question to
you. What does it mean to imitate an artist like HCB? How will you know
that you have succeeded in the endeavor to imitate him? <<

IMO, it never hurts to try and imitate someone else's style. It's also
important to branch out in your own style, but sometimes one leads to
the other.

A lot can be learned in the process of imitating, or attempting to
imitate. New ideas are very rare (and often not accepted at first). Most
things considered new or cutting edge are really refinements of existing
idea.

I'm sure there are many people who bought Leica's in an attempt to
imitate HCB. They never succeeded, but in the process they learned to
love Leica cameras, and photography in general. That's success.

Even those who failed eventually supplied the used market with pristine
equipment. Those of us who couldn't afford to buy new at the time might
even call that a success. :-)

daveR

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Lets start a Leica equipment discussion)
Reply from nickbroberts at yahoo.co.uk (Nick Roberts) ([Leica] Lets start a Leica equipment discussion)