Subject: [Leica] Do you like the look of pyro?
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Tue Mar 21 06:50:13 2006

The tonal quality is quite lovely.  ( I think the image itself is also quite
effective.)

Pyro, depending on the particular formulation of the chemicals, can be
either quite green or quite brown in stain.  FP4 plus Pyro is a really
popular combination that allows a wide amount of expansion or contraction of
your tonal range.   It is also very cheap to use and has been around for
years.  Newer formulations are still being brewed.  Today, it is a pretty
specialized market.  Mostly LF users.  It is usually considered to be not
too fine a grain developer.

One of the advantages of Pyro is in print making.  Using VC paper, the green
cast acts like a local filter in the highlights, giving more local contrast
to those areas.  The brown colored PYRO do not do this as effectively.
Scanners should be oblivious to this effect  (Note that I said ...should
be....)

Your workflow ( or whatever the methodology you call the process of scanning
the negatives and getting them ready to post) might help a lot of users of
this combination.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

This is a scanned negative.