Subject: [Leica] Olympus DSLR
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Mon Mar 20 09:35:44 2006

Some years back Phillips Corporation (sp?) closed another one of their
US plants and moved to Juarez. I had a  magazine assignment to do some
shooting at the new locations and it was an  eye opening experience.
Couple of bucks an hour and free bagged lunches looked pretty good to
those folks. The company even provided free transportations to work and
home in old school buses. Of course, the buses were not air conditioned
and smelled vaguely reminiscent of month old porta potties.Summer in
Juarez will fry cahones on the sidewalks.

Nonetheless, to a people who have spent generations being trod upon by
their masters the opportunities looked inviting. Make a hundred dollars
a week in Mexico and you move into the established middle class.
Here,that might buy you gas to the local soup kitchen and there's the
rub. I've watched many Americans get dirty and sweaty while busting
their asses at tough labor.Our masters probably wished we'd  never
learned to read and write, and consequently demand a fair share of the
economic pie. Then, there would be no need to hire Mexicans and buy off
their masters for the "business treaties" enacted.

Walt

Message from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Olympus DSLR)