Subject: [Leica] I am visiting Australia
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Fri Mar 17 16:09:04 2006

On 17 Mar 2006 at 21:06, bruce wrote:

> That's the beginning of the "clear-up" ............. thanks Clayton.
>
> What are the origins of the McKee .................. if you have a
> moment.

Well, I inherited it from Dad, who got it from his father; beyond
that I really don't have any way to know.  My particular branch of
the family is somewhat given to "improving" history in that regard,
and so far none of the "old family stories" have ever actually held
up when compared to verifiable facts in the historical record, so....

As far as I can determine, it's originally Gaelic, but the origin
name, approximately rendered as "Aoidh," would likely have been
either a nickname or some sort of honorific bestowed on someone or
other, probably as an apres-melee battlefield honor, and so it's
likely that there was more than one such individual.

Currently, there's a Clan McKay, which is where most of the McKees
and McGees (the two are equivalent here since the Gaelic spelling has
no direct English equivalent) and McKays and whatnot fall into the
chart (there are about thirty or forty surnames in the clan).
There's also a McKay that's a sept of Clan Donald, with again several
variant spellings.  It's a smaller group but still fairly sizable,
Donald being I believe the most numerous of the various
distinguishable clans.  I'm also told there's a group of usually
McGees and some McKees who are actually of traceable lineage who are
NOT McKay descendants at all, but were related to one degree or
another to a certain notorious gent by name of Rob Roy MacGregor (of
Liam Neeson fame) who found it somewhat advantageous to hide the
relationship for various reasons relating to keeping their heads and
hearths out of the hands and gaols of the Sassenach.

The McKay lands are in the north, I believe, just west of the Clan
Ross (and just as a historical joke my best friend here is a lineal
descendant of THAT line.)

And then there's the Irish group, about whom I know nothing beyond
that they exist and are probably not blood kin of any significant
sort to the Scots.

And somewhere in all that, I'm a very very dilute descendant.  I've
no idea how that branch of the family tree came to the New World.

Oh... and, probably of greatest significant interest on THIS list,
MacKay and Whyte, one of the longest continuous production
distilleries in the Highlands, produces The Dalmore Single Malt...
which I recommend for various reasons.  (Unfortunately some decades
ago the company  was sold to a larger company outside of the clan, I
forget which, but it's still reasonably drinkable anyway.)

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com

Message from bruce at ralgo.nl (bruce) ([Leica] I am visiting Australia)